Social Skills Programs
Ages4-5 years 6-8 years 9-12 years Teenagers
Does your child have difficulty...
- Using eye contact?
- Listening or engaging with others?
- Interpreting facial expressions, body language, or other nonverbal social cues?
- Starting and maintaining a conversation?
- Taking turns during conversation or play?
- Compromising or cooperating with others?
- Coping with transitions or changes in routine?
Buffalo Hearing & Speech Center's Social Skills Programs may be able to help!
We believe the following areas are critical for students to develop successful social communication skills:
- Conversational Skills: Using language to take part in reciprocal and meaningful exchanges (e.g. engagement, topic maintenance, topic initiation, turn-taking, listening, etc.)
- Self-Regulation Skills: Managing one's own feelings and/or sensory, motor planning, and visual-spatial issues
- Cooperation Skills: Problem-solving, compromising, and understanding others' perspectives to establish and maintain relationships
- Generalization Skills: To communicate effectively across social situations and to adjust social behaviors to meet the listener's needs and environmental conditions
In order to improve these skills we have taken a unique approach that combines both structured explicit teaching and student-centered activities, while incorporating gross motor and sensory experiences. Student-centered activities provide natural opportunities for students to apply taught skills in a meaningful way with their peers. During this time therapists recognize "teachable moments" and tailor teaching methods to accommodate each student's unique developmental and individual differences in line with the DIR/Floortime model (Greenspan).
2 Options for Summer 2018:
Social Communication Program (speech and language therapy program). Offered at Downtown Buffalo office only. We participate with most major health insurances. Program is billable to your health insurance as speech-language therapy and may help to offset the out of pocket cost of the program. $100 book and supply fee due at enrollment to secure space in class.
Social Skills Group (supplemental education program). Offered at Williamsville office only. Program is private pay only and cannot be billed through insurance, as this is an educational program and not a therapy program. Cost of program is $650. 50% of tuition ($325) is due at enrollment. The remainder of tuition is due 1 week before the start of class.